May 19, 2021|Mohs Surgery
Advantages of Mohs Surgery
- Efficient: Immediate notification that the cancer is completely removed.
- Effective: The highest published cure rates for many forms of skin cancer.
- Check 100% of margin
- Less likely that the cancer will recur
- Cancer recurrence rates with Mohs surgery is less than 2%
- Those who do not undergo this surgery have recurrence rates of more than 10%
- Safe: The procedure is done under local anesthesia, eliminating the risks of intravenous (IV) sedation or general anesthesia.
- Cosmetic: Maximum preservation of healthy skin for the best possible cosmetic and functional result.
- Cost Effective: Given the high cure rates, low complication rates, and performance in an outpatient setting, Mohs surgery is the most cost effective form of skin cancer removal available.
- Convenient: Most patients undergo complete removal of the skin cancer and reconstruction on the same day. When necessary, coordinated care with other specialists such as oculoplastics, plastic surgery, or radiation oncology may be recommended.